Larval Homestead(0.33) installation on Mac El Capitan.
Assuming that the latest Virtual Box is already installed, the following are the basic steps required to get the Laravel Homestead box up and running without any errors. Might save a bit of headache for others or for myself in the future.
1. The command as given in Laravel Official Installation docs
vagrant box add laravel/homestead
did not work for me. I downloaded the box from https://atlas.hashicorp.com/laravel/boxes/homestead/versions/0.3.3/providers/virtualbox.box
vagrant box add laravel/homestead <virtualbox zip file>
3. Make an entry in /etc/hosts file as
4. Do a vagrant up.
5. If step 3 fails with SSH timeout error, Create new ssh key-pair in a new location : ssh-keygen -t rsa -C “you@homestead”
6. Set the SSH file locations in ~/.homestead/Homestead.yml
7. Do vagrant up – this time it should succeed.
8. Do a vagrant ssh (This should login the user to the vagrant VM)
9. Create folder structure to reflect the ‘sites’ to the section of the ~/.homestead/Homestead.yml file, typically /home/vagrant/Code/Laravel/public ( Initially, the Laravel/public folder is missing)
10. Ensure the ‘folders’ map section of the ~/.homestead/Homestead.yml file points to a legitimate directory. This will be synched with the vagrant box folder. This is the folder in the host OS( in this case Mac OS El Capitan).
11. Put a info.php with the content <?php phpinfo(); ?> inside the folder created in step 8.
Now, opening http://homestead.app/info.php should open up the php information page indicating that the setup is now complete.
Ahoy Sailor on your Laravel journey!